Come to Terracon and discover what great looks like. At Terracon, you’ll have the opportunity to work with great people and work on great projects. You will have the opportunity to build a career focused on rewarding and exciting projects that help the community where you live. We all work together as a team to make great things happen.
Safety is more than an initiative at Terracon – it is the way we do business. Our senior leadership is committed to making sure you remain safe while on the job and hope that you carry these practices home with you as well. We’ll make sure that you are properly trained and have the necessary equipment to perform each job as safe as possible.
The department manager role is critical for the success of the team. In this role, your primary responsibilities will be to lead, guide and direct your team, provide work opportunities for the team as you work with existing clients or new clients to secure new projects, and help the team by working on larger projects or helping them with any technical issues they may be experiencing. You will supervise or monitor all projects in progress in the department to ensure that work is executed on time and in accordance with the client’s requirements and within company policies, procedures and standards.
As Materials Department manager, you will need to be skilled in management, client development and technical skills in construction materials consulting. You will need to have experience and an understanding of inspection, testing, and understanding of the lab. You will need to be able to perform in a fast-paced work environment while maintaining a positive culture with the team. You will collaborate with managers of our other departments to enhance the success of our office.
The Lenexa office works on a variety of projects in the private and public sectors, including but not limited to industrial, manufacturing, multifamily/senior housing, high rise buildings, transportation and infrastructure, education, retail/commercial, hospitality and healthcare. Projects range in complexity, size and scope.
- Responsible for preparation of proposals and cost estimates with varying degrees of complexity.
- Directs the short-range business development activities of all department personnel to ensure that adequate fees are available to support the manpower on the payroll.
- Plan for and execute the recruitment, selection, training, mentoring, and development of all employees in the department.
- Prepare and execute the department annual business plan.
- Oversee and manage the success of the key department metrics of revenue growth, staff chargeability, project billing and collections, and project profitability.
- Develop understanding and be aware of project-related risk. Be familiar with what could go wrong on a project and how to protect the Company. Be familiar with company risk policies.
- Lead safety efforts for team and ensure team follows safety rules and guidelines. Responsible for creating and modeling a safe work environment; demonstrates safety practices. Promote pre-task planning for all projects.
- Promote continuous quality monitoring and improvement on projects. Monitor quality standards and practices. Engage our quality team on projects at their onset.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Construction Engineering or related discipline and 10 years’ practice experience.
- Previous experience working with special inspection programs. Previous supervisory experience.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history
Professional license or registration.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 4,000 employees in over 140 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid holidays.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.
Location/Region: Lenexa, KS