Job DescriptionGeneral Responsibilities:
Terracon has an opportunity for a Construction Materials Technician I to join our team in Corpus Christi. Our Construction Materials Technician I will perform various observations and tests on construction materials such as soils, concrete, masonry, reinforcing steel and asphalt. You will communicate with Project Managers, client representatives, contractor’s representatives and other key stakeholders regarding testing and inspection results. Tests are performed on building construction projects in the Corpus Christi area and in the Terracon laboratories. Successful candidates will receive in-depth technical training and professional certifications as they advance in the position within 1-2 years.
Safety is Terracon’s most important core value! Terracon provides a safe work environment for our employees, and provide safe practices for our technicians to follow. Incident and Injury-Free (IIF) is about care and concern for people. It is our personal and organizational commitment at all levels of the company to everyone going home safe to their family every day. We will hold ourselves responsible not just for our own safety and wellbeing, but for that of everyone around us. Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Under direction of senior technicians, staff professionals or project managers, assists with tasks and perform basic sample tests and observation of soils, aggregates, concrete, masonry, reinforcing steel and asphalt.
- Document and prepare sample testing and observation data using a laptop or tablet device; submit findings accurately to a Project Manager.
- Effectively communicate testing and inspection results.
- Will be placed in a progressively increased role of training and responsibility in work assignments.
- Ensure that all testing equipment and tools are properly calibrated and maintained.
- Follows safety rules and practices and other safety requirements for all projects. Performs pre-task planning prior to executing work. Reports any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Maintains quality standards on all projects.
- Transports materials safely from various job sites to the lab using a company provided full size pickup truck.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 6 months’ experience
- Obtain ACI certification within 90 days of hire
- Successful completion of related internal safety and technical certifications
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history
- Obtain Nuclear Density Gauge certification within 6 months of hire
- Current industry certifications for materials testing a plus, but not required
The successful candidate will be encouraged to expand their skills and certifications through company provided training and mentoring. This is an opportunity to become a member of a successful team, be part of the construction process and make a career at a steady, growing organization.
Wondering what a day in the life as a Materials Technician at Terracon would look like? Watch this short video before applying.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 4,000 employees in over 140 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid holidays.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.
Location/Region: Corpus Christi, TX