First American Title Insurance Company, the largest subsidiary of First American Financial Corporation (NYSE: FAF), traces its history to 1889. One of the largest title insurers in the nation, the company offers title services through its direct operations and an extensive network of agents throughout the United States and abroad. First American Title provides comprehensive title insurance coverage and professional services for purchases, construction, refinances, or equity loans. The company’s thorough searches, title clearance, and insurance help to produce clear property titles and enable the efficient transfer of real estate. First American was named one of FORTUNE's 100 Best Companies to Work For® in 2016 and 2017. For more information, visit www.firstam.com
Work in partnership with regional agency leadership and commercial agency underwriting group to identify, target and grow relationships with agents engaged in large commercial transactions. Underwrite the issuance of title insurance and provide underwriting support and expertise to agents related to the issuance of real estate title insurance commitments and policies in large commercial transactions. Develop and retain a commercial agent client base through the support and maintenance of agents engaged in commercial transactions.
- Act in the most senior capacity for a region providing commercial underwriting service and support to the region’s agents involved in commercial transactions.
- Develop and maintain effective business relationships with assigned agents, internal and other external clients in order to attract, develop and retain profitable business for the region.
- Retain and expand agency relationships throughout region/market by assessing the agents’ potential for growth in the commercial market and serving their underwriting needs.
- Use underwriting standards and guidelines within delegated authority limits to underwrite the issuance of title insurance and provide guidance in the performance of real estate settlement services.
- Communicate proactively with and respond to agents in a timely manner.
- Is highly visible in assigned marketing area by attending real estate industry functions and participating in community and real estate.
- Provides multi-state commercial underwriting support.
- Participates in underwriting education with agents through seminars and webinars
Supervision Received or Extended
- Assignments are broad and highly complex in nature, requiring originality and ingenuity
- Operates with substantial latitude for un-reviewed action or decisions
- Work independently setting own short term priorities and objectives, with senior management consultation relative to the identification of target agent customers.
Knowledge and Skills/Technology Used
- Demonstrated practical experience with concepts, practices and procedures of real estate title and settlement process.
- Strong knowledge of Federal and State regulations related to real estate title insurance and settlement services.
- Business acumen, strategic ability and an understanding of market and competition to identify threats and opportunities.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to diagnose and analyze issues, identify and drive creative and sound solutions, and achieve desired results.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to mulit-task, prioritize and work under pressure.
- Ability to build relationships and create rapport, using diplomacy and tact.
- Demonstrates persistence, tenacity and consistency in pursuing revenue opportunity.
- JD Required
- Must be admitted to practice law with license in good standing
Typical Range of Experience
- 8+ years title underwriting experience, with focus on complex commercial transactions
- Must be familiar with commercial real estate law
- Familiarity with review and approval of escrow and closing instruction documents a plus
Physical location of position is flexible.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
First American invests in its employee’s development and well-being, empowers them to provide superior customer service and encourages them to serve the communities where they live and work. First American is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer. For more information about our Company and our dedication to putting People First, check out firstam.com/careers.
Location/Region: Chicago, IL